Friday, March 23, 2012

Downdraft Table / Table Saw Outfeed Table

The following posting is a project I started midstream of building an entertainment center for my basement.  While assembling the entertainment and cleaning the shop I was reminded of how the dust just seems to find its way to every part of the shop.  I then turned to the internet for a few ideas .... and quickly came to conclusion that converting my existing hard maple table saw outfeed table into a multipurpose work station would be ideal.  I quickly disappeared to the Home Depot for a few supplies and began crafting this project based off of a few pictures I saw on the internet.  I must credit the idea for this project from http://www.fineboxes.com/DowndraftTable.htm.  The outfeed table has now been converted into a fully functional downdraft table, outfeed table and storage cabinet.  The base of this cabinet consists of 1/2" plywood construction and 2"x2"s with Hard Maple for top.

If you want to attempt this project here is a list of supplies:
(3) 1/2" X 4' X 8' plywood
(9) 2" X 4" X 8'
(1) 60min timer switch
(1) 120VAC outlet
(10) Power cord 10-2AWG
(2) Box of Screws
(1) Door gasket / weather stripping (to seal the removable fan side)
(4) 20" X 20" furnace filters
(2) 1" X 1" steel angle iron to improve surface rigidity
(6) 1.25" Pan Head screws
(1) Hard Wood Top (Size to vary based on your shop)
(1) Old Furnace fan or blower

The finished dimensions for the base of my downdraft table are 39" X 43".  The height of my downdraft table was customized to match the height of my table saw and thickness of the hard maple top.  Since the downdraft table in my shop is a permanent fixture I finished the base with a hardwood trim to ensure it remains level with the floor and table saw.   

1 comment:

  1. Announcing The World's Largest Collection of 16,000 Woodworking Plans!
    1, Step-By-Step Instructions.
    2, Cutting & Materials List.
    3, Detailed Schematics.
    4, Views From All Angles.
    5, Suitable For Beginners & Professionals.
    Learn more http://cnnwood.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete